A Writer's Studio..#24

Virgina McKenna on set, 'Born Free' 1966


I am easily distracted so it is no surprise that in the midst of my continued Q&A post on Vietnam that I should start to think about writer's studios. Things like that just happen..


Last summer I wrote about our inspiration for Tahilla Farm  and featured the photo above of Virginia McKenna on the set of the movie, Born Free

I noticed that the photo was for sale on ebay  by way of  Buenos Aires, Argentina and thought...why not? So I bought it and patiently waited for it to arrive in our postbox at Tahilla Farm. Weeks went by and I had nearly given up hope when it arrived. An "original vintage" photograph from 1966 and I love it. 

I packed it away with an idea in mind. I am saving it for the eventual studio in a barn. When the time comes for me to hang my hat in a room of my own, in a barn, it will be framed and hung in a notable spot. At least that is what I told myself at the time. 

My original plans for Tahilla Farm included the renovation of the barn, making way for a writing studio. I have a Pinterest file, Barn Space, in the waiting, for when that day comes.




But...a little thing called 'budget cuts' got in the way. Our ideas for Tahilla Farm grew and grew until the studio that "was to be" had to be put on hold. And that' ok for all is not lost. 




I still have a horse stall and between you and me I think this whole space will work just fine. It is as clean as they come. In fact the previous owner spared no expense for her horse. It is well insulated, has heated, padded floors and is in pristine condition. I'll take it.






Creative spaces come in all shapes and forms. For some it is that hideaway house in the middle of nowhere (I get that), for others it may be a specially designed space just for them and for others it is borrowed space...like a horse stall in a barn.

While I am thinking about my writing space in a horse stall and the eventual hanging of my 1966 photo of Virginia McKenna ...I can't help thinking of all the places that caught my eye over the years. The photos you take because you know that one day, you will go back to them. That day has arrived, on a steamy day in Saigon. With that in mind, I would like to share a few of those spaces and am curious...if you identify with any of them.

If you could, which would you pick?

Would you create "your space" in New Zealand...

On a dock in Blanket Bay, New Zealand?

With a view to the water, through a garden in Waitangi, New Zealand?

Tucked in a cove in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand?

Along a walking trail in Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand?



or do you see "your space" in New Hampshire or Vermont?


In a garden studio in New Hampshire?

In a greenhouse in Vermont?

In the woods in Vermont?

Over a pond in New Hampshire?

 How about you...
did you take a fancy to any of the locations above?

As for me..
When the time is right, 
this is where you will find me,
behind the red barn door...
through the potting room, 
to the horse stall...
at Tahilla Farm. 
And that's just fine by me.
For now.
;)




Signing off from Chateau Mango
with visions of writing studios 
dancing in my head
28 Day Writing Challenge #23
Vietnam Time

Collage of Life
28 Day Writing Challenge
(click on title to read)


Photos above taken by me 
on my travels through New Zealand,
New Hampshire and Vermont.
Photographer of Virginia McKenna unknown.

Comments

  1. I definitely related better to the pics from New Hampshire/Vermont! Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeannie, check out Ellen Degeneras and Portia's home from a couple years back they were in Architectural Digest and they used part of their barn as a writing studio and entertaining space…I still have the book, I was so enamoured! Have fun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda, I remember that issue, it was a keeper. I am glad you reminded me, I will go in search of it in one of my magazine stacks. :)

      Delete
  3. I live in Vermont, so I'm partial to VT and NH. But I must say those spots in New Zealand could steal my heart also. Since retirement is about 5 years off, I find myself thinking I'm supposed to go to Florida or some other "retirement spot". But then I correct myself and say "why do I have to go there" I can go or stay anywhere I want. I need to listen to my heart and soul far more than I do the media and crowds! Your Tahilla looks like heaven. Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are so right Bev...I love the way you put that. "I need to listen to my heart and soul far more than I do the media and crowds". We can be swayed so easily and before we know it we are not sure which direction we are heading in. That happens to me often. ;) So glad you said it! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful is all you share Jeanne.
    Much love and many blessings
    Love Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sweetheart Jeanne, no doubt about it! Thank you..xx

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine a girl wanting much more than a stall of her own (just as long as you can't be locked in)! ;) ;) As for me, the only body of water I would live by is a lake. Oceans are too powerful. For years, my perfect retirement home was perched by a lake, but recently(and inexplicably) I've found myself favoring mountain homes. Of course, one of each would be ideal, but then I'm really dreaming. It must be hard knowing you have such a serene spot on earth and you won't be able to inhabit it for a while. I might be jumping out of my skin if it were me and my head might be exploding with all the ideas and decisions you've poured forth which is why finding all the expert tradesmen you have drawn to your project a lifesaver. May you journey happily(and sooner than you realize) on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Susan...and I am SO glad to read that someone else thinks like me. Sometimes I feel like I am banging my head against a wall trying to explain why I feel more "at home" in the mountains than the sea. I grew up on the ocean, I have always loved it but not in the way I used too...I feel there is so much more to explore in the woods and I could go on and on. Thank you for your comment, I am smiling in Saigon... :)

      Delete
    2. PS... I would be the first person to lock myself in that horse stall and not on purpose! I plan to have the lock removed. :)

      Delete
  6. in a horse stall + well it is ok by me + what a charming place to be.....xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a charming place to be...love that Peggy, thank you! :)

      Delete
  7. I would love to be along that walking trail in the wilds of N. Zealand. But I think I'd be less distracted in the woods of Vermont. Better for writing.
    A horse stall sounds ideal. Will you have an equine roommate??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did Pamela, we might fight over my pen collection. I think it might be a bit cramped for two, especially if I try to fit in two desks, digital and analog. :)

      Delete
  8. Jeanne, I think the heated horse stall is a perfect writing retreat! How wonderful to be in such a space! I cannot wait until the time comes for you to hang your hat, and your photo and put pen to paper, of fingers to keypad. Whatever the case I think magical things are to come.

    Have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth...I am sure of it.. for someone extra special (hint hint) has supplied me with the magic in secret boxes these past two years. :) xx

      Delete
  9. I love your writer's studio space. Very nice. Heated padded floor = Yoga!

    I've seen photographs of New Zealand. It is an enchanting country. I'm just not sure how the plate tectonics and I will get along. Living in Vermont, knowing New Hampshire, and the deep woods of Maine, woods with a water source, an old mill nearby a plus, within reach of a good sized city is my ideal. Indoor space, the first photo of the barn loft with more windows and a fireplace or old Franklin stove is lovely. Even with all that beautiful open space, I'd build myself a small desk nook by a window and a comfy chair for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always liked the way you think Maywyn. I am right there with you..must have the desk nook by a window and a comfy chair for writing. While we are at it, let's throw in a foot stool...and music. Might as well get super comfy. You have all the right ideas going...sounds lovely. :)

      Delete
  10. Definitely the nest on Blanket Bay...a window for the mountains, a little boat to row out on the water, and a wood stove for warmth in stormy weather. Oh, the muscular verse and placid prose that could be written with those mountains for a muse and that bay for ballast. In my imagination, I am already halfway there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagining the muscular verse and placid prose with mountains for a muse and the bay for ballast. Would love for you to read your imagination "gone wild" Nib...wonderful! :)

      Delete
  11. Bay of Islands, NZ with its water and mountain.So refreshing to imagine and probably to live. If close to family and friends also for a retired life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a magical place Edgar, it leaves you speechless, like most of New Zealand. I highly recommend a visit if you have not already been. You will be inspired...promise.

      Delete
  12. I am OK if it's just an armchair in an SF apartment, or a sofa in a Bay Area suburban house. I use the routine to create space, for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty good to me Lisa. I have never been to your part of the world. Would love to visit one day... :)

      Delete
  13. That barn is my dream house. Once I had an empty chicken coup and would have loved to move in. This is so much nicer!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeanne,
    I think your space is perfect! What a dream!
    xo
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am based in London at present but am planning on emigrating this summer and the Bay of Islands, New Zealand is where I'm heading. It's so beautiful up there, just love it. I was also really drawn to somewhere on the waterfront in Pittwater, NSW, but can travel over to Sydney easily from Auckland. (Think I'd need the occasional buzz of Sydney after living in London town, reeeeally love Sydney).

    I really love New England, have travelled over many times to visit family in Mass. and Vermont but I couldn't take the severity of the winters there, but Maine in summer, just quite heavenly. I spent part of my childhood living in Australia and South East Asia, and certain parts of Malaysia also appeal but think I prefer a more seasonal climate and (as a v.pale blonde girl) fare better in cooler temps. the seasonal, sub-tropical temps. of the Bay of Islands in NZ seem just right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am based in London at present but am planning on emigrating this summer and the Bay of Islands, New Zealand is where I'm heading. It's so beautiful up there, just love it. I was also really drawn to somewhere on the waterfront in Pittwater, NSW, but can travel over to Sydney easily from Auckland. (Think I'd need the occasional buzz of Sydney after living in London town, reeeeally love Sydney).

    I really love New England, have travelled over many times to visit family in Mass. and Vermont but I couldn't take the severity of the winters there, but Maine in summer, just quite heavenly. I spent part of my childhood living in Australia and South East Asia, and certain parts of Malaysia also appeal but think I prefer a more seasonal climate and (as a v.pale blonde girl) fare better in cooler temps. the seasonal, sub-tropical temps. of the Bay of Islands in NZ seem just right for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Can I just say....that I so enjoy what YOU have to say. If you would like to write to me directly, I would love to hear from you... jeannecollageoflife@gmail.com

Popular Posts